Tuesday, February 7, 2017

The Visit (2015)


Jaiden - I never was a fan of M. Night. Shyamalan. Signs and the village nearly put me to sleep. I figured I just wasn't into his stories or directing. But I gave 'Split' a chance, and I actually liked it. But 'The Visit' is what made me have a change of heart for M. Night films. Knowing nothing about it, I didn't really know what to expect.Man was it scary. Watched this at night (great idea) and it took me forever to fall asleep because my heart was still beating rapidly! I'm a sucker for scary movies and this hit all the right notes for me. Its more of a drawn-out horror and BOY did Shyamalan pull it off. I couldn't think of anything wrong with it except for ONE scare which I was mad about. -.- It was dumb.
      So watching it, I was kind of excited to see it was (sort of) one of those found-footage films. I know a lot of people hate them, but I love em.  They add this different type of immersion to them, and I find it really interesting, and different (I'll always love you, Cloverfield). And they don't make me sick, so, good for me, eh? Even IF you are sickened by a shakey camera, have no fear, this movie is shot really smoothly. Often is the camera rested on a table or something. The handheld camera "gimmick" fits really nicely for this setting. It wouldn't have been as great without it, honestly. There were a few moments in these found footage movies where you question how/why certain things were filmed, but I cut them some slack, because for the most part, (enough of) their actions are justified especially in this film.
   Terrifying experience, and it was great. I give the Visit a 90% (out of 100 percents).

Alex - All "found footage" movies are inherently flawed. In order to convey enough information to the viewer, the "camera" must continue to record even during the most inopportune times. But if you're willing to except this flaw, some "found footage" films can actually be pretty good. This brings us to The Visit, M. Night's first film after becoming a Hollywood dumpster fire. His return is most welcomed. I really enjoyed this film. Yes, there are implausible scenes and yes, there are a few things that might not click together. But overall, I had a lot of fun watching it. Two kids go to visit their grandparents for the first time. Strange things start happening. Soon they are in peril and must figure out what the heck is going on with their crazy grandparents.  In some of M. Night's better films, he'll include a standout scene  that is quiet and understated, typically a still shot (or in this case, a very slow zoom in), using only the actor's ability to convey everything. The Visit has a very powerful scene involving the young girl being questioned by her brother. That scene alone was worth it for me. There are a few genuinely creepy scenes and a couple jump scares thrown in for good measure. 8.5/10

__________

Previous watched

Nick - 7.5/10
Ally - 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment